Friday, September 26, 2008

Memory Lane



In May 1999, I graduated from Oklahoma State University then two weeks later moved to Texas for a couple of years. I've never really been back to Stillwater since then until tonight. Alan had a football game against the Stillwater Pioneers so we decided to go watch his team play.

As soon as we got to town, Charlie wanted to see where his cousins lived for the past 60 years. The family still lives there even though his cousin is in a nursing home and her husband passed away last year. Before Alan's game started, we went to see Charlie's cousin for a few minutes. Fortunately, she remembered him and we visited until we had to leave for kickoff.


After the game, we drove down Hall of Fame to see the new football stadium and the parking garage. I was overwhelmed by the size of it all, then saw the new apartments. When I was at school, this was all still a dream, but I remember Dave Stoddard talking about how the university wanted to develop new housing to suit the new generation of college students; kids that are used to having their own rooms and privacy, plus nicer digs than Wentz or Drummund dorms. Of course, I had to show Charlie my former living quarters at University Apartments while attending school. I can't believe how long it's been.

During Alan's football game, I was reminiscing about how active I was in college. I was an officer in the Adult Student Organization and a Resident Advisor (we called them Apartment Assistants and got a discount on our housing). I was very active at the Family Resource Center. So why am I such a freaking hermit now?


All I can think of is living in Texas was just THAT bad.


It's time to get over it. I'm joining the photography club. And I volunteered to serve as a member of the Social Committee for BPA (Business Professionals of America) at school. That's a start. Believe it or not, I've managed to find someone to talk to at school! She's the same age as I am and we sit next to each other in class.

No comments: