Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Joy of Hearing

I had a new mapping today and I am SO excited because I can finally hear a lot better than I have since activation. It’s not perfect yet, but that’s ok. The sounds are still a little fuzzy but I’m aware of them. My audiologist, Kila, could tell I was hearing much better because my face lit up and I was smiling so big.


Have you seen the video of the little boy who gets his CI turned on and his face literally lights up when he hears his mommy’s voice for the first time? That’s how I felt! There is so much joy in being able to hear more sounds that I have before.

Tomorrow I should get my audio cable and once I do, I’ll be able to start using the Sound and Way Beyond audio therapy program. I’ve been reading along with a book on CD using a set of headphones, which I managed to break the other day. I’m so talented! The audio cable will work much better. My audiologist set my one of my buttons on the sound processor specifically for me to use with the cable.

Thursday night, my CI support group is combining with the Hearing Loss Association for an evening social. I’m looking forward to it. I’m also interested in volunteering with the Hearing Helpers Resource Room once a week, but afraid to make a commitment in case I find a full-time job.

I’ve decided not to use the Optional Program to find a state job, but instead take the test like everyone else. I don’t know why, but I’m determined to get a job with the state. I have this idea the state will be more understanding about my challenges.

Anyway, that’s my update for my CI process. Everything is good and I’m healing well.

1 comment:

Shari-r said...

YEAH!!! So happy to read the good news!