Monday, June 14, 2010

Road to Recovery - Cochlear Implant Day 2

I've been told repeatedly that once the cochlear implant is inserted, I'll never be able to hear out of that ear again. Well, that doesn't seem to be true for me. I held up my hearing aid to my left ear , turned it on and I could hear sounds coming through it. Is this a sign that the implant will work as expected? I can only hope!

The past 2 days have been a blur, except that first hour of post-op recover. If anything stops me from getting the 2nd implant it will be that one hour where I was so freaking miserable. Remind me it didn't last long and I felt SO much better when I got home and into my own bed.

Right now, my left ear feels like there's something inside it. I keep thinking I need to take my hearing aid off and then realize, I don't have one in! I've even made Charlie get a flashlight and check to see if there is something inside my ear. Earlier this afternoon, he was checking my bandage for pus/blood and decided to change the bandage because it was hanging off my head. So now, I have a couple of pictures...if you can handle the reality!

[caption id="attachment_254" align="alignnone" width="300" caption="Post-surgery left ear"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_253" align="alignnone" width="300" caption="Post-surgery behind the left ear"][/caption]

The earpiece from my glasses touches the top part of the incision behind my ear, so that is uncomfortable. I've been taking my glasses off as much as possible and end up falling asleep a lot. I ordered a new hearing aid mold for my right ear yesterday and taking a cue from my friend Fritts, who has RED hearing aids and molds, I ordered an earmold in magenta swirl with glitter ! How daring for the woman who desperately tries to keep the hearing loss a secret!

I've posted this link in the past - but its worth revisting if you want to learn more about Cochlear Implants: NATIONAL INSTITUTE ON DEAFNESS AND OTHER COMMUNICATION DISORDERS webpage about Cochlear Implants

No comments: